The stimulation level for RLN localization was 2mA in 315 nerves

The stimulation level for RLN localization was 2mA in 315 nerves (95%) and 3mA in the other 18 nerves (5%). The signal obtained from RLN localization

(amplitude = 932 +/- 436 mu V) showed a clear and reliable laryngeal electromyographic response that was similar to that from direct vagus (amplitude = 811 +/- 389 mu V) or RLN stimulation (amplitude = 1132 +/- 472 mu V). The palsy rate was 0.6% and no permanent palsy occurred. RLN injury is rare if the nerve is definitely identified early in the thyroid operation. The conclusion of this study is that IONM is a reliable tool for early RLN localization and identification, even in complicated thyroid operations.”
“Organ Procurement and Transplant Network (OPTN) policy currently requires the testing of all potential organ donors for human T-cell lymphotrophic virus (HTLV)-1/2. Most Organ Procurement

Organizations (OPO) use the Abbott HTLV-I/HTLV-II Enzyme Immunoassay (EIA). This assay will no longer be manufactured after December 31, 2009; the only commercially available FDA-licensed assay will be the Abbott PRISM HTLV-I/II assay which poses many challenges to OPO use for organ donor screening. As a result, screening donors for HTLV-1/2 in a timely manner pretransplant after December 31, 2009 will be challenging. The true incidence of HTLV-1 in United States (U.S.) organ donors is not well described but appears to be low (similar to 0.03 -0.5%). HTLV-1 is associated with malignancy and neurological

disease; HTLV-2 has not been convincingly associated with disease in humans. Donors that are HTLV-1/2 seropositive are infrequently used despite most results being either false positive or resulting from HTLV-2 infection. There is urgent need to encourage the development of assays, instruments and platforms optimized for organ donors that can be used to screen for transmissible disease in donors; these must have appropriate sensitivity and specificity to identify all infections while minimizing organ loss through false positive testing.”
“Background and Aims: It is not known whether dietary intake of plant SNS-032 stanols or sterols changes the composition of arterial sterols. Therefore, we compared serum and carotid artery cholesterol and non-cholesterol sterols after plant stanol (staest) or sterol (steest) ester feeding in endarterectomized patients.

Methods and Results: Elderly statin-treated asymptomatic patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy were randomized double-blind to consume staest (n = 11) or steest (n = 11) spread (2 g of stanol or sterol/day) for four weeks preoperatively. Non-cholesterol sterols from serum and carotid artery tissue were analysed with gas-liquid chromatography. Staest spread lowered serum total (17.2%), VLDL, and LDL cholesterol and serum triglycerides, while steest spread lowered serum total (13.8%) and LDL cholesterol levels from baseline (p < 0.05 for all).

Comments are closed.